20 July 2016
OVER 80 Surrey Park swimmers were out in support of our first Club run, Swimming Victoria qualifying, meet of the 2016-17 season. With large entries from across the State, it was always going to be a very busy day for swimmers, coaches and volunteers / parents alike.
With the meet split in 2 sections, we saw our older age swimmers perform some very exciting events, returning some big PBs. This also led many of our swimmers into Top 3 finishes.
Special mention to the swimmers listed below for some outstanding efforts:
Age High Performance Squad
- Chantelle Underwood – 200 Bk and 400 F/S over 10 sec PB on each
- Aidan Gleeson – Over 10 sec drop in the last 2 months in 200 Bk and 400 F/S
- Dani Smithson – Over 6 sec drop in 200 Breast
- Thomas Harkin – Over 5 sec drop in 400 F/S
- Morgan Morffew – 50 sec drop in 1,500 F/S and first time State Qualifier!
- Flynn Phillips and Ciara Walsh first attempt at 1,500 F/S and 400 IM respectively
- Nicholas Chang – First time State Qualifier in 100-200 Breast and 50-100 F/S!
State Development and Senior State Squads
- Mitch Brown, PBs in every race
- Amelia Chiang, was afraid of 100 fly but got up and raced it, PBs in every race
- Eliza Harkin, PBs in every race
- Alex Hillman, PBs in every race especially a huge 26.99 50 F/S
- Angelos Lakoumentas, PBs in every race
- Jack O'Sullivan, PBs in every race
- Annie Thorn, second time racing, PBs in every race and was just shy of qualifying for 50 free.
- First time State Champ Qualifiers: Callyn Fenwick-Kearns (50 free) who has just moved up from Junior squad; Will Johnson (400 free); Janadan Soliman (100 IM, 100 Free, 50 Free)
- First Time Racers: Natasha Kohlman (Dev Squad), Hannah Robarts (Dev Squad), Charlie Rosicka (Junior Squad)
- Riley Cardow: 8 second drop in 100m Free
- Olivia Diss: across the board great racing through the day
- Emma Howlett: great racing 50m free 9.9 sec drop, 50m Back 7.7 sec drop
- Tash Lancefield: fantastic 50m Free 37.57
- Lizzie O’Sullivan: PBs in all races. stand out race of 100m Free 1:18.87
- Damien Pezzi: PBs in all races, 100m Free 6 sec PB, 100m IM 5 sec PB
All in all a great effort by the Junior swimmers, some missed their 50m Free due to the some confusion with the marshalling but fantastic effort to you all
Open High Performance Squad
- Matt Burns – 80 sec PB in 1,500 F/S with a State champ QT
- Sam Li – PB 100 F/S with a State QT
- Hamish McDougall – 4 races and 4 PBs Including the 200 Butterfly Stephen Peace Trophy win
- Tom Curran – 100 F/S PB
- Kahlia Marsh – 100-400 F/S PB’s
- Alex Good – 200 Bk PB
- Connor Xu – 10 sec PB in 1,500 F/S
- Jim Bian – 4 events for 4 PBs
- Sophie McLeish – PBs in 100-200 Breast
A special thank you to our coaching staff for their expertise and commitment to the day so ALL our swimmers had accurate Warm up, Race, Post Race and Swim down information. Thanks to Coaches Kylie, Sarah and Tom and to ALL the parents who donated their time filling the timekeepers lanes and feeding everyone with awesome “nibblies” throughout the day.
Matt Brown, Director of Coaching