8 November 2016
Sunday 30th October saw a very busy day for ALL Surrey Park members, swimmers and parents alike, with the running of the Club's Long Course Meet for the 2016-17 season at MSAC.
Nearly 100 Surrey Park swimmers joined over 650 swimmers from around Victoria in what turned out to be one of Surrey Park’s biggest meets to date. This was designed to be one of our major events for Victorian State Championship LC Qualifying Times to be achieved. Numerous Surrey Park swimmers did exactly that, with some qualifying for Victorian Long Course Championships for the first time.
The following swimmers finishing in the top 3 in at least one of their events:
- Alex Hillman
- Dani Smithson
- Kahlia Marsh
- Connor Xu
- Chantelle Underwood
- Matt Burns
- Hamish McDougall
- Laura Davy
- Caitlin Matthews
- Tom Curran
- Laura Seddon
- Sam Mathieson
- Sophie McLeish
Age High Performance Squad:
Overall a good meet for the squad with swimmers generally getting the times they were looking for. The core of the squad is working hard and will see the results of their work pay off in time.
Outstanding efforts were seen from Danielle Smithson, Jonty Pote, Hamish Langford, Flynn Phillips and William Johnson. Ciara Walsh did events that were outside her normal schedule and performed well.
Senior State and State Development Squads:
Some great results from these squads including:
- Emilia Cox: PBs in every race, her much improved consistency in training paying off!
- Breanna Croall: PBs in 4/5 races, including 4 seconds in 200 IM, 6 seconds in 100 breast and 3 seconds for 100 free, very mature and focused throughout the day.
- Eliza Harkin: PBs in 4/5 races including 6 seconds in 100 breast and 4 seconds in 100 free, her attention to fixing her technique in training really showed.
- Alex Hillman: PBs in 4/5 races including a 5 second drop for his 100 free to break the minute barrier for the first time long course.
- Andrea Kew: PBs in 3/4 races after a long period of time without any at all, her patience and hard work paying off.
- Angelos Lakoumentas: 100% PB rate with massive 11 and 12 second drops in the 100 free and 100 breast respectively.
- Sam Mathieson: 100% PB rate including a very impressive 4 second drop in his 100 breast to qualify for Vic States.
- Spencer Robarts: 3/4 PBs including a first attempt at long course 100 fly, and a very impressive 1:10.3 100 free at only 10 years of age.
- Laura Seddon: 2 season best times including 1 just outside lifetime best, whilst working through exams this month
- Jerway Zhang: swimmer of the meet for me, 100% PB rate including a 14 second drop in his 100 breast to put him just outside his first state qualifying time.
A fantastic effort by all the Junior swimmers with a total of 59 PBs. Outstanding Swimmers:
- Adryan Lim
- Thomas Masters
- Ella Robertson-Brown
- Olivia Diss
- Jesse Phillips
- Jake Matthews
- Ava Booth
- Sebastian Beck
Adryan Lim had a fantastic 50m Fly and 100m Free. Thomas Masters had a great 100m BK and 100m FR. Ava Booth flying down the pool with 50m Fly.
First Time Racers: Arwen Graham and Sophie Yang
Special thanks to Olivia Diss for helping the new swimmers learn where to marshal and taking them under her wings, great leadership skills.
Open High Performance Squad:
Great efforts on the day by all Open High Performance squad swimmers. Special mention to the following swimmers gaining their first time Vic LC Champs QTs:
- Matt Burns - 100-200-400 Free
- Sam Li - 100 Free – 100-200 Breast
The following swimmers also had outstanding swims:
- Kahlia Marsh - 800 Free
- Connor Xu - 400 IM, 1,500 Free
- Matt Burns - 1,500 Free
- Laura Davy - 100 Fly
- Hamish McDougall - 200 Fly
- Tom Curran - 200 Free
- Sophie McLeish - 200 Breast
- Jim Bian - 200 Back
With our club meet over, the focus now goes to chasing any times still required to qualify for 2017 Victorian Championships the next 2-3 weeks. Good luck with your individual efforts
A special thanks to ALL our parents and volunteers, because without you, this meet would not happen and the funds raised would not be available to ALL Surrey Park swimmers during this 2016-17 season – Well Done!Matt Brown Director of Coaching