21 April 2017
Congratulations and well done to Surrey Park's team of eleven swimmers together with coaches Matt Brown and Pat Fisher and Team Manager Ada Wang who travelled to Brisbane for the 2017 Australian Age Championships. Club swimmers competing were Dani Smithson, Emma Smithson, Sophie McLeish, Chantelle Underwood, Laura Davy, Aidan Gleeson, Ryan-Alexander Lobo, Alex Hillman, Nicholas Chang, Connor Xu and Leon Iera.
Highlights from the 6 days of competition included:
- Aidan Gleeson and Ryan Lobo qualifying for the Finals of both the 14yrs 200 Backstroke and 100 Backstroke events in PB times. In the 200 Final: Aidan finished 4th and Ryan 7th. In the 100 final: Aidan finished 6th and Ryan 10th.
- Laura qualified for the Final of the 16yrs 100 Butterfly in a PB time and finished 6th in the Final. She also finished 6th in the Final of the 16 yrs 200 Butterfly.
- Laura also finished 6th in the 16yrs 400IM in a PB time of nearly 6 secs.
- Chany at her first Age Nationals qualified for the Final of 12-13 yrs 100 free, then backed up swam a sub 60sec in the Final
- Alex also attending his first Age Nationals achieved PBs in the 14 yrs 100 Free and 50 Free events.
- Leon swam well in the 15yrs 100 and 200 Breast.
- Connor achieved a PB of over 4 sec in 16 yrs 200 Breast
- Ryan and Aidan competed in multiple races over the 6 days and achieved PBs in nearly all of these.
- Surrey Park's Boys 14&U 4X50 Relay teams (Ryan, Aidan, Nic, Alex) were very competitive and the Medley and Freestyle teams both finished 7th overall.
- The Club's Girls 16&U 4X100 Medley Relay, (Channy, Dani, Emma and Laura) placed 22nd.
In the final points score Surrey Park finished 5th Victorian Club and 35th overall; a great team effort!
Special thanks to the Club's support staff: coaches Matt and Pat; team manager extraordinaire Ada. Thanks also to the Surrey Park support team of parents and siblings who cheered the swimmers on from the stands.Matt Brown Director of Coaching