State Championships Update - Day 2
18 December 2010
Day 1 was a great day for Surrey Park – however Day 2 certainly proved to be just as exciting.
The Prelims again saw some great action as swimmers battled for finals berths. Once again we had a good number of individual qualifiers however the team for the evening finals was bolstered by the inclusion of four relay teams which added to the hype.
Our individual finalists for Day 2 were:
- Bethany Robertson (Girls 16 yrs 400m Free, 100m Breast)
- Cameron Crabb (Boys 15 yrs 100m Free, 200m Fly)
- Lucy Smithson (Girls 14 yrs 100m Back)
- Sebastian Cumins (Boys 14 yrs 200m Back)
- Phoebe Dammersmith (Girls 13 yrs 200m IM, 100m Fly)
- Alexandra Good (Girls 12 yrs 200m Free, 100m Fly)
- Olivia Witts (Girls 15 yrs 200m Fly)
- Sam Warrick (Boys 15 yrs 200m Fly)
- Leo Wong (Boys 12 yrs 100m Fly)
- Natasha Guenther (Girls 17-18 400m IM)
Some of the highlights of the night were:
In the Girls 16 years 400m Freestyle, Bethany secured gold (and a National Age Qualifying time) in an edge of your seat thriller of the race.
Sebastian Cumins powered away in the Boys 14 years 200m Backstroke to become the Club’s second state champion for the night.
In the Girls 12 years 200m Freestyle, Alex Good got to reacquaint herself with the medal presenters when she collected a silver medal. Alex returned later in the evening to claim a gold as first Victorian in the 100m Fly.
Club Captain Cameron Crabb gritted out the Boys 15 years 200m Fly and in doing so scooped up a bronze medal.
The boys continued the good work when Leo Wong fought hard to win a silver medal in the Boys 12 years 100m Fly.
The night was capped off with some great team spirit as our relay teams, including a number of swimmers experiencing their first taste of state championships, battled hard in the face of strong opposition.
Some photos of the action can be found via the following links:
Day 2 Prelims - http://www.flickr.com/photos/digood/sets/72157625620961720/
Day 2 Finals - http://www.flickr.com/photos/digood/sets/72157625497063893/